Street Maintenance Arborist
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Franklin
Employer: City of Franklin
Individual is primarily responsible for coordinating and performing tree inventory, maintenance, planting, risk assessment and removals on public right-of-ways and grounds. Individual will develop and maintain a work plan for the City’s tree inventory to include an urban forestry storm response plan. Individual will also assist with other aspects of the Street Department daily maintenance operations that are non arborist related duties.
Primary Job Functions:
- Individual is responsible for coordinating and performing all tree maintenance activities, this includes but not limited to tree planting, pruning, removal, herbicide application and spraying.
- Individual is responsible for performing/overseeing chipping of brush and limbs relating to arborist activities.
- Individual is responsible for maintaining and updates of the City’s tree inventory to include but not limited to planting activities, trimming, spraying, and vegetation removal.
- Individual is responsible for purchase and inspection of plant materials required for City’s entire tree inventory program.
- Individual is responsible for coordinating and monitoring contracted tree services.
- Individual is responsible for assisting other City departments, non-profits and general public best management practices on forestry operations.
- Individual is responsible for assisting with planning and designating recommend tree species to be used for both public and private developments.
- Individual is in a mandatory overtime position that requires work outside of the normal Monday thru Friday 7AM to 3:30 PM work day as necessary to carry out the responsibilities and mission of the Street Department.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Individual is responsible for assisting Street Maintenance Supervisor and/or Street Commissioner in directing, identifying and overseeing the work of Department personnel performing tree planting, trimming and removal.
- Individual is responsible for assisting the Tree Advisory Committee with special urban forestry related events and activities for the City such as Arbor Day and Tree City USA programs.
- Individual is responsible for participating in receiving and researching complaint(s) from residents regarding City’s tree inventory, advise residents or appropriate agency on recommendations to include scheduling equipment and personnel to rectify the complaint(s) as necessary.
- Individual is responsible for participating in the development of Department safety program, including monthly safety meetings.
- Individual performs other related duties as assigned related to the overall operation of the Street Department.
- Individual must have the ability to operate all Department equipment commonly used in a Tree City USA best management practices comprehensive program such as but not limited to Aerial Bucket Truck, chippers, stump grinders, chain saws and spraying equipment and properly demonstrate to Department personnel the proper and safe operational procedures.
- Individual must have the ability to operate such as but not limited to Loader/Backhoe, Front End Loader, Catch Basin Cleaner, Dump Truck and Ice/Snow Removal units.
- Individual must have the ability to use common tools of a street maintenance operation such as but not limited to concrete saws, rakes, shovels, brooms, and weed eaters.
- Individual must have a minimum of three (3) years experience of forestry and horticulture including urban forestry operations, tree and landscaping maintenance.
- Individual must have competent knowledge of Tree City USA programs.
- Individual must have competent knowledge of City Ordinances, Department policies, procedures, and work methods, State laws & regulations, adheres to all and the ability to explain and support them.
- Individual must have extensive knowledge in safety equipment and procedures and has the ability to properly instruct others of same usage for the safety of the entire crew.
- Individual must have the ability to complete & issue work assignments, and direct the work of others to assure crew safety.
- Individual must have the ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally to implement all phases of the Street Department mission.
- Individual must have the ability to collect field data using electronic devices such as but not limited to a smart phone, a personal computer or GPS to accurately record data for documentation to various regulatory compliance requirements.
- Prefer a Bachelor’s Degree in urban forestry, horticulture or closely related field, or commensurate experience in lieu of degree.
- Individual must be an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist.
- Individual must possess and maintain valid Indiana herbicide/pesticide operator’s license with ornamental and turf grass certifications.
- Individual must possess a valid CDL driver’s license Class B, with air brake endorsement.
- Individual reports directly to the Street Maintenance Supervisor or Street Commissioner.
- Individual is expected to work in a position, which has been identified as heavy work, which may require the individual to lift objects heavier than 40 pounds for extended periods.
- Individual is primarily required to work outside, which may expose her/him to loud noises, vibrations and extreme inclement weather conditions; however some job duties will be carried out in an office environment.
- Individual is required to wear all appropriate safety equipment required of task being performed such as but not limited to hard hat, safety glasses and steel toed safety boots.